The Daily Telegraph recommends taking the following action
• Shred personal documents – then bin them.
• Cancel unused credit cards. You can check your credit rating if you are unsure
• Don’t give personal infomation to anyone, however legitimate they may seem, without first confirming who they are and why they want the information
• Check your credit file regularly to see what information is held about you
• Check your financial statements; experts say few people regularly look at their current account and credit card statements to check transactions